The Secret Serve
The Australian onions ‘Secret Serve’ marketing campaign was launched by Horticulture Innovation Australia in May 2016.
Based on research that suggests 94.6% of Australian children aren’t getting the recommended daily serves of vegetables, the campaign focuses on the creative use of onions in everyday meals.
The three year campaign includes:
- The launch of the ‘Secret Serve’ website secretserve.com.au
- Cooking demonstrations in 470 Woolworths, Coles, and independent supermarkets and greengrocers across Australia
- A recipe booklet that includes a seven day meal planner containing family favourites
- Celebrity chefs such as Darren Robertson and Magdalena Roze endorsing the campaign and sharing recipes
- Engagement of bloggers and key influencers in the media
- The launch of Instagram and Facebook pages
Onions Australia consulted widely with growers around Australia for more than two years before a vote on changes to the statutory levy took place in 2011.
New legislation came into effect from 2014 which saw levy funds allocated to marketing.
Approximately $200,000 has been allocated towards marketing each year until 2019.